Friday, June 12, 2009

Our Gophers Can Swim!

I presided over RBC’s Annual Montreal West Island Golf Tournament as its Honorary President last week.

In an earlier post, I mentioned that I had not played golf for several years and in fact, it would be more appropriate to call me a gopher, not a golfer. The post finished off by stating that “if you saw gophers running across the Beaconsfield golf course, you would know I was playing.”

Well you wouldn’t have seen any gophers running… you might have seen them swimming but certainly not running! The weather was absolutely terrible and many parts of the golf course were under water!

The organizers had planned an 11 am brunch and a 1 pm shotgun tee-off but due to the rain, the club’s groundskeeper had to cancel the tournament and give everyone a rain check for a time of their choosing.

However, everyone regrouped for 6 pm cocktails followed by a great dinner and silent auction and a little talk on the power of recognition by yours truly.

I’m pleased to say that we raised $30,000 for West Island Community Shares and another $15,000 for the Vaudreuil Soulanges Palliative Care Residence.

These are great causes and I was pleased to help their fundraising efforts along with many of my Rideau colleagues.

0 comments: